logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to debug: IE instead of IRL

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Mon Nov 28 19:10:27 GMT 2011

> Hi,
>
> when I build a map for Ireland, the abrevision is "IE" and not
> the expected "IRL".
>
> The LocatorConfig.xml looks Ok to me. In the log files I find
> mkgmap:country=IE and mkgmap:country=IRL.
>
> for example:
>
> 2011/11/21 23:40:16 WARNUNG (StyledConverter): 71340006.osm.pbf: Unclosed way ht
> tp://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/46605658 [mkgmap:admin_level5=Leinster,mkg
> map:admin_level6=County Kilkenny,man_made=pier,mkgmap:region=County Kilkenny,mkg
> map:admin_level2=IE,mkgmap:country=IE] should be converted as shape but the star
> t or end point lies inside the bbox. Skip it.
>
> And:
> 2011/11/21 23:38:36 WARNUNG (StyledConverter): 71340001.osm.pbf: Unclosed way ht
> tp://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/106590397 [mkgmap:admin_level5=Ulster,mkgm
> ap:way-has-pois=true,man_made=pier,mkgmap:admin_level6=County Donegal,mkgmap:reg
> ion=County Donegal,mkgmap:admin_level2=IRL,mkgmap:country=IRL] should be convert
> ed as shape but the start or end point lies inside the bbox. Skip it.
>

> I can overwrite it in the style, but I would really like to
> understand what's going on and how to fix it correct.
>
> Thanks,
>    Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

I've observed such a problem once although I cannot fully adapt it to
your problem. Anyhow I'll describe what happens in mkgmap so you might
have an idea yourself?!

When the tiles are processed the following things happen:
- On the first access to the LocatorConfig.xml it is loaded. mkgmap
tries to improve the country information in this locator data structure
while it is running.
- When the option index with location-autofill=bounds... is set the
precompiled bounds are loaded. The country info of the precompiled
bounds (all tags of the country relation) are added to the locator data
structure. This enables mkgmap to follow the name-tag-list option for
country names.
- All elements (point, line, shape) are applied with the precompiled
bounds info (mkgmap:admin_level2=IRL)
- After the style is applied the country abbreviations are expanded to
the complete names using the locator data structure. If the country was
contained in the precompiled bounds the name-tag-list option is used to
retrieve the full country name from the locator data structure.
Otherwise the full country name is taken from the LocatorConfig.xml data.

What might have happened in your case is:
1. You have used different name-tag-list values for different tiles (is
that possible? I should know but I am unsure...). Anyhow the country
abbreviation should be the same because it is always taken from the
LocatorConfig.xml.
2. The precompiled bounds of Ireland might have been incomplete so that
the admin_level2 boundary did not cover the full area of Ireland. In
this case the precompiled bounds of the first tile might not contain any
admin_level2 information. This also means that the LocatorConfig.xml
data is used for retrieving the full country name. For further tiles the
locator data is completed with the tags of the Ireland boundary and
therefore the name-tag-list option decides what's the full country name.
Anyhow the country abbreviation should be the same...

If you can reproduce the problem you can send me your splitter settings,
your mkgmap parameters including your style files. Then I can have a
look on it.

WanMil