logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] side effects add-pois-to-lines

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Sun Nov 27 16:12:06 GMT 2011

Minko <ligfietser at online.nl> writes:

>  Greg wrote:
>> Can you explain when you want to have a POI for every node in a way?  It
>> seems the area->POI code makes one POI for the closed way, and this is
>> different.  (Not trying to be difficult; I really don't get it.)

> I use the add-poi-to-lines option only in a few cases (yet), and I
> don't use it on every node either, but only in the middle of a road
> segment (mkgmap:line2poitype=mid).
>
> One example is on lines tagged with route=ferry & opening_hours=*
>
> route=ferry & opening_hours=* & mkgmap:line2poitype=mid {name '${name}
> (${opening_hours})' | 'operating ${opening_hours}' } [0x6406
> resolution 24]
>
> This is a screenshot of my map:
> http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5582/ferryroute.jpg
>
> Before add-poi-to-lines was introduced I used an extra line to render
> opening_hours, but the disadvantage is that you often cannot see this
> info on the GPS (it displays the streetname only, or in this case
> where there is no streetname, it shows the bike route relation
> name). Other cases that you can use this are for example incline,
> smoothness, tracktype, access tags etc.

Thanks.  I understand why you want to create one POI from a linear
feature.  I still don't understand why it would make sense to make a POI
per node.  What I'm getting at is that perhaps the line2poi code should
somehow default to making only one synthetic point POI.  I have the
impression it didn't, and you were posting code to work around that.