logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Short mkgmap HowTo

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Thu Nov 17 18:26:58 GMT 2011

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this lists but with osm for quite some time.

Welcome!

> I'd really like to contribute to improving the wiki pages about mkgmap
> (being a user, not a developer - but that isn't necessarily all bad from my
> point of view as long as the developers are willing to help with questions
> users can't answer).

Great! There's much improvement possible.

> I think the new how-to page describing simple usage is a good idea. After
> some thinking, it is probably a good idea as well to start using the
> splitter right away rather than creating a very small map that does not
> require to split the data. The latter would be even simpler but most people
> likely would want to create larger maps.
>
> Suggestions:
>
> The main page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap) seems a little
> overcrowded and misleading ("The goal of the project is to take
> OpenStreetMap data and put it on my Garmin Legend Cx"). I'd expect a
> description here, maybe links to alternatives for those who are looking for
> something else (prebuilt maps or a graphical interface). Also, it would
> probably be easier to link to the download page
> (http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/snapshots/) than trying to keep the version number
> of the latest stable up to date. The link list seems a good idea, but I
> would move it to be the last topic in the help section rather.
>
> The options page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/usage -
> should be renamed if possible?) does not need the paragraph on creating a
> map anymore as the new how-to page covers that. Instead, all available
> option should be explained. Charlie Ferrero has put together quite a lot of
> information on his page which he might be willing to share (Charlie, you are
> probably reading the list?). If we are not able to put together (and
> maintain) something that is similarly detailed, I would rather link to his
> page.

That's ok for me.
Maybe it's worth to check if Charlie has added some good descriptions
and merge them back to the help texts included in the mkgmap distribution.

> Then, the troubleshooting section might become a page of its own, also
> explaining errors and warning messages. E.g. the message "area too small to
> split" just left me scratching my head when it was thrown, and I'm still not
> sure how to identify the objects that trigger it (or if I need to track this
> down at all).
>
> Ok, a question at last: any objections against these suggestions? I would
> like to start contributing but would not want this to be perceived as
> vandalism.

Go ahead! From my point of view it's time to restructure the mkgmap page
as you described. All in all it is a wiki so don't by too shy to change
things. If someone dislikes your changes one can post comments or
improve it directly in the wiki.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Have fun!
WanMil