logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Cutting down the default style

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Wed Nov 9 13:34:36 GMT 2011

Minko <ligfietser at online.nl> writes:

> How about introducing a typ file (or several) instead of several styles?
> To my opinion the maps without a typ file look like crap, especially
> in very dense mapped areas. For Lambertus' maps we already started to
> adapt the default style to use it together with a typ file, you can
> download a test map at
> http://code.google.com/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/downloads/list or look at
> some screenshots in this topic:
> http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13257

I've been using Charlie Ferrero's TYP file.  Generally I really like it,
and I can't imagine going back.
But I have two issues:

  There isn't open source code to create TYP files from representations
  that are reasonable to edit with free tools and store in version
  control systems (and be diffable, etc.).  Fixing this would let us
  bring a TYP file into the mkgmap source sanely, and then have a style
  that matches it.

  Style files get edited for multiple reasons; one is to match TYP
  files, and another is catching up with tag usage.  I'm not suren if
  Charlie's style files are be a bit out of date (not complaining; what
  I have to use for free is awesome), but structurally it would be hard
  to keep them in sync; I think what's needed is a merger of those and
  the modern mkgmap style, but I haven't spent the time to really dig in
  (which is a clue that just using what Charlie publishes is very good -
  I think my big issue is town boundaries being missing, but even that
  I'm not sure of).

So, besides the Free text<>TYP converter, one path forward could be (and
I'm really curious what Charlie thinks here):

  Check in a TYP file that is intended to provide lots of drawing
  primitives, and Charlie's TYP is probably a good choice (or at least
  starting place).  Hold our noses while editing it (with the web
  tools).   Have a text file that documents what the codes do alongside
  it.

  Have a style file that is aimed at this checked-in TYP, and use the
  various perl programs (or probably easy to redo in java) to poke the
  family id into the TYP.