logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Cutting down the default style

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Nov 8 12:58:41 GMT 2011

On 07.11.2011 21:05, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 01:20:06PM +0100, Felix Hartmann wrote:
>> 1. I think the default mkgmap style should be kinda universal and not
>> only for motorists. It shouldn't be specific and not show advanced
>> stuff that is only for certain user groups (routes, and so on).
>
> Side note: My family is car-free. If anything, a leaner default style
> could be making the life of off-road users harder. But, they already
> need to combine contour lines separately.
>
>> 2. Multi layer maps are not a good solution. a) they work differently
>> depending on the gps unit (older Garmin GPS only allow only one
>> gmapsupp.IMG but inside you can disable/enable layers; newer Garmin
>> PNAs don't allow for this, but you can enable/disable maps only based
>> on name.IMG being separate).
>
> Thank you for educating me. I did not know that newer units do not
> allow multiple layers within a gmapsupp.img.

Actually all of the following cannot activate/deactivate at the same
time layers or maps (doesn't matter) if they are withing ONE
gmapsupp.img: extrex 10,20,30, gpsmap 62, Oregon, Dakota, Colorado, edge
800, Montana. Also nearly all Nuvi (released less than about 3 years),
and probably the newest Zumo or motorcycle units either. They will show
all layers or maps at the same time. To activate/deactivate them
separately they need to be named like srtm.IMG, mtbmap_D.IMG, and so on
(and I think no name can be longer than 8 characters, at least that was
the case on older units).
So yes you can layer, but differently and all but the "base"map (meaning
the one with all Polygons and all roads/streets that are routable) have
to be transparent. However neither Garmin Basecamp nor the outdated
Garmin Mapsource can show multiple maps at the same time. Qlandkarte GT
supports no autorouting on Garmin maps, hence it is not really useful
for planning trips longer than what is walkable within one day...

Hence the large majority of Garmin users will neither really understand
the layering concept, nor be able to use it in the intended way. If
Qlandkarte GT evolves (and the next version hopefully is the first that
can more or less match Garmin Mapsource/Basecamp on displaying the maps
nicely (all old versions showed them, but pretty awful rendering
quality, hence ugly) nor anywhere near as quick (much longer screen
redraw). I hope someone could help Oliver to implement a simple
autorouting on Garmin maps in Qlandkarte GT (escpecially as the
Algorythm used by Mapsource/Basecamp is worse than what new Garmin PNA
use, overmore it only works well for finding to the next motorway and
then once at the finish find to the address, but awful for routes for
cycling/walking that have many turns, and actually etrex 30 does it much
better) but currently Qlandkarte GT in my eyes is useful only for Linux
and or Mac OSx (if you want to avoid the hassle to convert to gmap format).