logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Tags hiding roads?

From David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net on Tue Nov 8 11:15:28 GMT 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 10:56 +0000, SomeoneElse wrote:
> David Fletcher wrote:
> > It looks like in this case, the garbage in question is an admin_level
> > tag that should not have been placed directly on a road. So, for now,
> > I have an answer to my problem, thanks. I used the Open Street Map
> > message service to pass on the text of the reply about this, to the
> > person who objected to me removing the tags in the first place, to
> > give him chance to respond.
>
> Another option, of course, is to create your own Garmin maps using data
> from e.g. http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/
>
> If you don't filter the data as is done behind the scenes at
> http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ then your road won't disappear, and
> you'll be able to modify the way that it looks on your GPS too.

I'd rather try to do "the right thing" and just make it work, so that it
also works for others who don't have the technical understanding to sort
out the problem.

Imagine somebody who wants to use a Garmin device loaded with the UK
mapping to drive to somebody's house at the bottom end of Freezinghill
Lane. Because of the tag problem, the Garmin sends this person on a
route that is 10 miles longer than it should have been. The result is
unnecessary expense and environmental pollution, and the whole Open
Street Map project getting a bad reputation in the eyes of the public.

Better to fix the problem properly so that everybody benefits.

Dave