logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Tags hiding roads?

From SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk on Mon Nov 7 13:15:32 GMT 2011

David Fletcher wrote:
> I'm getting the impression that, for an ordinary user who wants to
> make contributions to the Open Street Map community then reap the
> reward of free mapping, what I will call "the system" as a whole is a
> little inaccessible.

>  As for Open Street Map / Garmin maps, I think that if a road is
> rendered as expected on the web site, it is reasonable to expect that
> same road to appear on my Garmin device without an ordinary user /
> contributor having to go delving into the technicalities to get it to
> work properly.

Part of the problem is that OSM isn't "a map" but instead "some data".
The default mapnik rendering on www.openstreetmap.org is just one
example of a map that can be created from that data.  It doesn't render
everything and it wouldn't make sense for it to.  The same's true of
Garmin maps - no one Garmin map can be ideal for everyone (for my own
use I create different ones for walking and driving, for example)

> At this time, I have no idea at all what a style is or how it affects
> the working of mkgmap.

The beginners' documentation for mkgmap isn't very newbie-friendly,
though
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/How_to_create_a_map and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/Custom_styles are
definitely worth a read if you've not seen them already.  Without doing
anything too complicated it's possible to figure out how to add new
entries to one of the style files so that "thing X" gets rendered a bit
like "thing Y" but as a different Garmin item.

As well as this list there's also the OSM help site
http://help.openstreetmap.org/ and the Garmin forum on the OSM forum
site http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=26 of course.  The
help site (and probably the forum too) gets users of all levels of
familiarity with the software from "someone told me I can get free
Garmin maps here" upwards.

Cheers,
Andy