logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Cutting down the default style

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Nov 7 11:47:55 GMT 2011

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 12:34:10PM +0100, Minko wrote:
>Since Lambertus who compiles the world routable maps filters all
>boundaries with certain admin_levels out of the data, this could be an
>explanation that your highway is gone. Solution: remove the tag
>admin_level=10 from this road.

Alternative solution: instead of filtering the data, why not filter the
style file (remove the rules that generate the unwanted objects)?

IIRC, Lambertus also filters out power lines from the data. Does anyone
want to have them in the default style? If not, I think that the default
style should omit boundaries and power lines. They are rarely useful in
well-mapped areas.

I understand why Lambertus does not want to have power lines on his
maps. They can be confusing on wide zoom levels when a power line goes
through fields and forests, but there is no road next to it (not even a
decent bicycle path).

Other things that might be useful to remove from the default style are
various natural=*, building=* and landuse=*, except waters. These could
be generated in separate, transparent layers, similar to how I generate
various route relations for Finland at
http://www.polkupyoraily.net/osm/.

A multi-layer map would allow the user to select what to see on the GPS
receiver unit. When you go offroad, you would probably enable the power
lines and maybe boundaries, and foot/bicycle routes and disable other
routes, except maybe route=bus if you are looking for transportation
back to the town.

If nobody opposes this "diet" of the default style, I would like to do
it.

	Marko