logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap and bicycle routing

From Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de on Sat Nov 5 18:19:18 GMT 2011

Hi,

we had here already some posts about Garmin Maps and routing for
bicycles.

I did quite some tests in the last time. At first, the good news
is, that with the 3.50 firmware for the 62s, routing for bikes
works again really good. Looks like with 3.40 something was broken
there. But I saw still some cycleways, where the Garmin refuses to
route me about.

After looking at the OSM data, I found the following difference:
- working:
  highway=path
  bicycle=designated
  foot=designated

- not working:
  highway=path
  bicycle=official
  foot=offcial

The rules in my style are the same as of the default style, and from
that, there shouldn't be a difference. Both ways should be changed
to highway=cycleway, and if I look at the map, this is working fine.
The map draws a cycleway and not a path.

So my question is, how does mkgmap sets the flag if a bike is allowed
or not? Could it be that mkgmap does not handle bicycle=official as
bicycle=yes?

If somebody wants to test it: Create a long way with the working
tags, escept a short distance in the middle. For this short distance,
create a very, very long alternate route. The 62s will always use the
alternate route, never the short one.

Thanks,
  Thorsten