logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] ways for highway=pedestrian perimeter

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Oct 22 18:40:42 BST 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 05:53:19PM +0200, Clinton Gladstone wrote:
>I have the following in my lines file:
>
>highway=pedestrian & area=yes {add access = no; add foot = yes} [0x0d
>road_class=0 road_speed=0 resolution 22 continue]
>
>And the usual highway=pedestrian & area=yes in my polygons file.
>
>This has some limitations (as pedestrians will always be routed along
>the perimeter of a pedestrian area) but at least the routing works.

Right, it would at least work. If the plaza is a multipolygon, I think
that we should only add a way for the outer line, not to inner lines,
because the inner lines would obviously become routing islands, and any
POI close to the inner ways could become unreachable by Garmin routing.

We might even add mkgmap:country rules to improve it further. In
Finland, highway=pedestrian should carry the following defaults ("add"
does nothing if the key is already present):
{add bicycle=yes; add maxspeed=20;}
In Germany, highway=pedestrian should default to {add bicycle=no} AFAIU.

Of course, highway=pedestrian is just one case of a routing island.
Another case could be amenity=parking, as we saw from one message
(regarding warnings for dead-end oneway highway=service) last week.
But, I think that that one simply is broken map data (missing
service=parking_aisle, and missing connections from them to footways).

Best regards,

	Marko