logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing with the eTrex 30

From Frank Fesevur ffes at users.sourceforge.net on Sun Oct 16 19:34:01 BST 2011

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago some of you asked me about the routing
capabilities of the new eTrex 30 model. First of all, as I said
before. My previous model was a Venture HC, so without routing. I had
nothing to compare to, when it comes to routing on an eTrex.

Today I finally had time to do some tests. So I downloaded a fresh
copy from garmin.openstreetmap.nl of The Netherlands with the Mapnik
TYP file and put the gmapsupp.img on my gps. I made sure the routing
was set to car and went of for a short trip of geocaching in the
neighborhood on my bike.

My conclusion is that car navigation does send me over cycleways and
footways. It also sends you the wrong way in a oneway street.

Some foot/cycleways I was send over:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=123268791
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=38227297
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=124617312

The street it send me the opposite way was
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=111853421
When it did, it showed "Hofzicht (Cycleway)" in the display. That
"Cycleway" was in English even with Dutch language settings in the
gps.

Regards,
Frank