logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Differences between gmapsupp files

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Tue Oct 4 20:43:08 BST 2011

Hi

> a) Single step creation assigns last map in args file as mapset name
> whereas two steps creation assigns a default "OSM street map" name. In
> the first case, wouldn't it be better to give mapset a name representing
> all the map, such as series-name or family-name. Regarding "OSM street
> map" I find "OpenStreetMap" would be more appropriate, don't you?

Agreed, "OSM street map" is silly, the point has been made before and
I thought I had changed them all, I will track down this one.

> b) Map generated in two steps lacks SRT map and subfile. I didn't find
> many information about the purpose of the SRT file. Would it make any
> difference on the functionality of the gmapsupp having no SRT?

You need --latin1 to get the SRT file. The SRT file specifies how
labels are sorted, so it depends on the code-page.

..Steve