logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Name of boundarys

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Sep 20 06:57:05 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:59:29PM +0200, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 19, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
>>As you both seem to be based in Germany and Germany has good coverage
>>of boundary=administrative, do you see a need for the multipolygon
>>processing of boundaries?
>
>I'm not really sure if I understand you correct. To draw a boundary,
>you don't need multipolygon processing of boundaries. But if you want
>to know the tags like the name of the boundary, you need the
>informations from the multipolygon.

The built-in processing of multipolygon relations in mkgmap seems to
break the copying of boundary names from the boundary relations to the
boundary names in the mkgmap default style. You verified this by
confirming that adding --ignore-builtin-relations to the mkgmap options
will copy the names of all boundaries to the boundary lines.

As far as I understand, the built-in processing of multipolygons should
only be useful when generating polygons (areas). The typical use case of
boundaries is to draw boundary lines, not to colour the areas limited by
the boundaries. Therefore, it would seem to make sense to implement an
option for disabling or enabling the built-in multipolygon processing of
boundary relations.

Best regards,

	Marko