logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Coastline issues - analysis and possible solution

From Bartosz Fabianowski bartosz at fabianowski.eu on Mon Aug 29 08:03:48 BST 2011

> geofabrik extracts are to blame - they're too "tight" in some places, so
> the coastline breaks in the extraction process already

In a sense, this is true. However, *no* polygon can ever be guaranteed
to contain enough data. Even if Geofabrik used a bounding box instead of
a bounding polygon so that data for the entire region containing the
extract was available, coastlines would still break. It is the rounding
of tile boundaries in the splitter that pushes them beyond the region of
the original extract. The only robust solution is to extract coastlines
separately, for a larger region of the map.

> I generated poly files for these countries which simply extend roughly
> 10 km into the neighbouring countries and the broken coastlines vanish,
> even if the splitter splits the coastline in these places.

Do you use these poly files to extract coastlines only or do you use
them for all your data? In the former case, you are doing what I found
to be a good workaround. In the latter case, you are increasing the
region for which coastlines are available while also increasing the
region for which tiles are built. If the coastlines happen to work with
the new regions, that is great - but it is coincidental, not guaranteed :(.

- Bartosz