logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap without --index broken on Edge 705

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Aug 8 19:43:52 BST 2011

On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 10:03:09PM +0200, WanMil wrote:
>Two things come to my mind:
>1. Should the error message that no precompiled bounds are applied be
>more visible (put to System error instead of the logfile)?

Perhaps. I did see the message in the log today, after trying with
--index. Without --index, no message is issued, but the maps are broken,
as far as the Edge 705 and presumably similar models, such as the GPSMap
60CSx are concerned.

>2. The "How to" in the wiki shall be a short first how to. So no deeper
>explanation why something works or why something doesn't work.

Sure. I was looking for an explanation for myself too. :-)

>Can you search for streets without using the --index option? Is that a
>special of the Edge 705?

Yes. It used to work fine until the locator branch was merged. The menu
would allow me to search for all streets from the current tile or close
to the current location.

How do I know? There are quite a few Kisatie in Finland, but the menu
would list only a few of them. If I put the Edge 705 to the basement for
some time so that it would allow me to set the location, and I faked the
location to elsewhere, I would see a different bunch of results. The
results were good but not perfect, because the "city" name usually was a
suburb, sometimes a neighbouring suburb. I believe that the "city" info
came from the closest place=* node.

With the locator branch and without --index, the gmapsupp.img produced
by mkgmap seems to claim that every street belongs to Nurmijärvi, zip
code 01900. I did not try to fake the location to see other tiles.

I did not successfully try --index yet, because I am a little hesitant
to play with MapSource on my Linux system.

Could we have the previous behaviour of runs without --index back,
please?

Best regards,

	Marko