logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Short mkgmap HowTo

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Aug 6 21:08:23 BST 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:37:46PM +0200, WanMil wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 02:41:42PM +0200, WanMil wrote:
>>> I have created a short HowTo in the wiki for first time users:
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/How_to_create_a_map
[...]
>I want to keep the article as short as possible because it should be a
>first "HowTo" without too much information overhead.

Another thing that I think would be nice to explain is why the
precompiled bounds are needed and what happens when they are not
provided (mkgmap seems to run just fine).

I compiled Geofabrik's finland.osm.pbf using mkgmap r2012, using my
normal workflow (no --index, no MapSource, just copy the gmapsupp.img to
the Edge 705). It seemed to go fine, with one exception: a few streets
that I tried to search for in my Edge 705 were displayed to be in
Nurmijärvi (post code 01900), even though the correct area is Vantaa.
Before the location branch was merged, the Edge 705 would display as
"city" name the name of the closest place=* node, and no post code
(because none is given for place=* nodes in Finland).

I cannot see anything obviously wrong in the source data, other than the
boundary relations in Finland do not have role names. I loaded the
boundaries in JOSM like this:

osmosis --rb finland.osm.pbf --tf accept-relations \
boundary=administrative --used-way --used-node --wx finland-boundary.osm
josm finland-boundary.osm

Vantaa and Nurmijärvi have common border
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/27487479) but the streets I
searched for where far away (to the east) from the border. Both
relations are at admin_level=8, but one way (30075154) belonging to the
Vantaa border carries admin_level=6 instead of admin_level=8. Similarly,
way 27481199 of the Nurmijärvi border is admin_level=7.

Best regards,

	Marko