logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Short mkgmap HowTo

From Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu on Tue Aug 2 10:22:08 BST 2011

On 08/01/2011 10:09 PM, Peter Lerner wrote:
> Wanmil,
>
>>> This should IMHO be the overall goal of the whole mkgmap project.
>> Agreed!
> NOT AGREED. At least not completely!
>
> You should take into consideration the user's necessity to visually
> select tile subsets for an interesting region....

You are right, Peter.
However, it is also true that these goals are independent of each other,
and to some extent what you describe is a goal to be achieved by the
splitter tools, not mkgmap itself.

I suppose it is true that from the user's POV, the splitter and mkgmap
should not be seen: what they want to do is select an area and select
some map parameters (whatever) and press a button. The system spits out
an .img file and they load it into their machine and use it. Job done!

I was being specific just to the (invisible) "mkgmap" part of that process.

It would indeed be good to launch a project to write what you, Peter,
have described.
( There is a superb GTK widget called "osm-gps-map" which provides a
scrollable OSM map in a panel ready for you to use to write a custom GUI
application to do pretty much anything. )

Steve.