logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Short mkgmap HowTo

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sun Jul 31 11:37:46 BST 2011

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 02:41:42PM +0200, WanMil wrote:
>> I have created a short HowTo in the wiki for first time users:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/How_to_create_a_map
>
> Thanks your the great work, WanMil!
>
>> I think that's a good thing for first time users because the other wiki
>> pages contain a bit too much information if you are using mkgmap for the
>> first time.
>
> One thing that might be too much information is character encodings. The
> wiki page does not mention them and does not include a --code-page
> option. Perhaps this could be a link to the more advanced documentation?
> Or could --code-page=1252 be a reasonable "default" worth mentioning?

Is --code-page=1252 the default setting of mkgmap? If not it should be
added to the options on the wiki page.

I want to keep the article as short as possible because it should be a
first "HowTo" without too much information overhead. But maybe it's
worth to add some hints about further configuration steps to the "Tweak
your map" section.

> I am embarrassed for not doing that much recently, and do not really
> feel entitled to ask this: How difficult would it be to write the
> address index information in the device format, eliminating the need for
> MapSource?

I don't know. Steve might be able to estimate how much work it will be
to fix that.
The work to do is to create a map including gmapsupp.img, install it in
Mapsource, upload it to the device and compare the mkgmap created
gmapsupp.img and the MapSource created gmapsupp.img. Probably that's
easy but the non easy part is to understand the differences...

WanMil