logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Suggestion for more flexibility in locator part of mkgmap

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Thu Jul 28 21:02:50 BST 2011

> Hi Greg,
>
> Just to clarify ... the admin_levels for Ireland described here
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ireland/Boundaries#Boundary_Types
> don't seem to mention things like village boundaries - there's a big gap
> between admin_level=8 and admin_level=10.

That's ok. OSM must deal with local specialities because they just
exist. And I think that's a chance for the new locator to become more
flexible.

> In situations like this, maybe
> the locator could be more
> flexible and use other kinds of boundaries too.

In principle that's quite easy to do if these other boundaries are
closed polygons or complete multipolygons.

Please give some more details how the other kind of boundaries are
mapped. Maybe you can give some examples with the real OSM ids of the
special boundaries.
Which tags do they use if they don't use admin_level=N?
Do they cover complete polygons or are they mostly incomplete?

> Regards,
> Cliff

Have fun!
WanMil