logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Resolution/level range, rendering parallel routes

From Charlie Ferrero charlie at cferrero.net on Wed Jul 20 05:55:48 BST 2011

On 19/07/2011 21:46, Jiri Klement wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [1] says that resolution or level range is not supported but in fact
> it works (tested on gpsmap 62s). It only needs to be written in
> opposite order (ie 3-1 instead of 1-3). Can you please change it so it
> works in both ways? It's really a minor issue but it should make it a
> bit easier for beginners :-)

I'll fix the wiki, but I wouldn't know how to re-code mkgmap so that the
level or resolution-ranges can be defined in the opposite way.

> I need resolution range to render parallel hiking routes, like in [2]
> or in josm plugin routes. Lines for different routes needs to be
> offset by the same number of pixels in every zoom level so I'm going
> to generate osm file, that will for every zoom level contain all
> routes (with different offset that will translate to the same pixel
> distance).
>
> Before I start, is there any easier way to do this in mkgmap? If not,
> do you think it's useful enough to get it integrated into mkgmap? So
> I'll try to make mkgmap patch instead of osm file generator...

I guess it depends on how those routes are being specified in the OSM
data, but it strikes me that the most generic solution would be to
create your own TYP file which contains ways with the correct offset,
and combine this with new rules in mkgmap's lines and/or relations style
files.  I think Felix Hartmann does this in his openmtbmap, if you want
to see a working example of how to do this.

--
Charlie