logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Multipolygon/boundary relations and subrelations

From navmaps navmaps at navmaps.eu on Wed Jul 13 19:28:58 BST 2011

Loll78 responded to my mail:

"As you already mentioned in the forum, I have used the
boundary_segment because this (new) proposed relations seams to me as a
good thing because it simplifies the edition of boundaries, especially
the large ones (i.e. of countries) a lot.
But I know too it will be also be inconsiquent if one does not used
that scheme for every boundary. I think a compilation software should
handle both schemes. The same as the compiler can also handles the
different boundary schemes of i.e. Germany (type=multipolygon) and i.e.
France (type=boundary).

Anyway, after rereading the proposed relation type, it is not clear to
me, if several boundary_segments forming a closed area have the same
effect as the the entire individual ways in a normal relation."

Although I still think this option is not good because Luxembourg is a
simple closed border
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:boundary : For not closed,
linear border, see Proposal:Relation boundary segment) I didn't want to
revert Loll78's changeset. I used a dual option: I created a new
boundary relation for Luxembourg in the style which is being used for
all other European/worldwide countries. My changeset: 8715072, new
relation number for the Luxembourg border: 1662399.

Cheers, Johan