logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] problem with highway=cycleway in default style

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Jul 5 12:04:44 BST 2011

On 05.07.2011 12:51, Ben Konrath wrote:
> HI Felix,
>
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Felix Hartmann<extremecarver at gmail.com>  wrote:
> [snip]
>> highway=cycleway {add motor_vehicle = no; set bicycle = yes; add foot
>> = yes} [0x16 road_class=0 road_speed=1 resolution 23]
>>
>> That wouldn't change anything. 0x16 is routable by motorcars too. Add is
>> correct, as in some places people seem to think that cycleways are usable
>> for cars (for short distances and so on). Else use set access=no; set
>> bicycle=yes; add foot=yes.
> According to the OSM tag rules, if a cycleway is allowed to used by
> cars, the motor_vehicle should be set to yes in which case the 'add
> motor_vehicle = no' wouldn't do anything which is correct.
>
> Let me try to clarify things a bit. The OSM data separates who's
> allowed to access a given way and what type of traffic is allowed on a
> given way. I think that mkgmap should properly support this. The
> garmin format may not support these distinctions in which case we'll
> need to tweak the style file to combine them as best as we can. There
> are problems with the way that is currently being done in the default
> style of mkgmap.
>
> By the way, 'set bicycle = yes' is actually wrong in the patch that I
> attached because it could overwrite other information in the bicycle
> tag. I've attached a corrected patch which keeps the 'add bicycle =
> yes'.
>
> Cheers, Ben
But there is no difference in routing between 0x07 and 0x16!
(else my maps wouldn't work...)

There are only very few types that have very special attributes and they
only differ in the routing instructions but not the access rights like
the ones for junctions and roundabouts (well and then there are the
ferry types that are super special)