logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] display of place names on lower zoom levels

From Minko ligfietser at online.nl on Mon Jun 27 10:12:51 BST 2011

On http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=12817 someone reported that the name labels of places disappear too quickly.

When I look at the default style, I notice there are some points for improvements:

place=city [0x0400 resolution 20]
place=hamlet [0x1100 resolution 23]
place=suburb [0x0a00 resolution 23]
place=town [0x0800 resolution 22]
place=village [0x0b00 resolution 24]
place=island [0x650c resolution 22]

- villages are only shown at level 24 where hamlets are shown one level lower
- resolution 23 is mentioned here, although it is not set in the options file: levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:20, 3:18, 4:16
- all place names are only shown at the highest zoom levels. In my opinion cities should also be visible at levels 18 or even 16? Towns can better be set to 20, villages/suburbs 22 and hamlets 24?

Maybe Marko can have a look at this?

Cheers, Minko