logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing restriction points

From Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl on Tue Jun 7 15:17:55 BST 2011

On 07/06/2011 13:28, ValentinAK wrote:
> Hi!
> How to make a restriction of access on the road if it contains a point with
> "barrier=bollard" or "barrier=gate"?
> I mean are the same as the turn restrictions with relations
> "type=restriction".
In my experience these barrier nodes are effectively ignored, leading to
sometimes being routed into a dead-end street. I always break the way
and insert a short section (with the barrier node in the middle) with
access=no or whatever is appropriate to the traffic which CAN pass the
barrier.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could distinguish between barriers which are
'always closed', ones which are 'always open' and ones which are
'user-openable'... Garmins are (AFAIK) not clever enough to say "stop at
the gate and open it". Mkgmap could possibly benefit with an option to
choose between assuming barriers can be routed through (e.g. gates which
are chained open), and barriers which actually block your path (e.g.
fixed bollards). The next point is of course how to tag that explicitly
in OSM, but some kind of support in mkgmap might be quicker than getting
the world to update the map.

Colin