logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Best practice including SRTM lines

From Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de on Tue May 17 11:59:53 BST 2011

On Tue, May 17, Frank Fesevur wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a document that describes how to include strm contour lines
> in my Garmin maps? What is the best practice? Normally I generate maps
> for The Netherlands, so contour lines are not that important to me.
> But this summer we will be going to Austria so I want to include them.
>
> I can use srtm2osm to download the data in .osm-format, but is there a
> document describing how I can add them to my Garmin map? Do I need to
> create a new family-id?

The SRTM data is fix and will not change. So why waste all the
resources with every build and include it directly?

What most people are doing is, create an extra transparent
SRTM layer with an own family-id and a higher draw-level than your
base map. You only need to do this once.

If you have a device, which can handle several maps, you only need
to copy this img once to your GPS device and you can enable/disable
it in the menu.
If you have a device, which does not allow several different maps as
extra files, you need to combine all the layers with gmaptool for
example.

This is working fine for me since a long time.

  Thorsten