logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitter output files are nearly empty

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Wed May 4 10:51:45 BST 2011

Hello

> ***** Full GC *****
> Elapsed time: 18m 0s   Memory: Current 135MB (106MB used, 29MB free) Max 6666MB

The 'Full GC' line is not a problem, it is a message printed by
splitter every so often before it attempts to force a garbage collect.
This is not usually a useful thing to do, but it can help make the
printed memory usages more accurate, I suppose.

Splitter can still read .osm.gz from stdin as long as there is a
--split-file
option, and as long as it doesn't have to use more than one pass
through the data.

You should just provide no file name on the command line though.  (ie
do not give /dev/stdin) However /dev/stdin should work as long as the
input is uncompressed.

Previously there was a --cache option which would copy and convert the
input to a cache file, which would then be re-read if --split-file was
not given or if more than one pass was needed.

Since the newer pbf format is as or more efficient than the cache file
format and osmosis is capable of producing it directly it seems best
to just use osmosis to write it. Having splitter convert to pbf will
not save any disk space and will probably be slower than overall
than osmosis producing it directly.

Best wishes

..Steve