logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitter output files are nearly empty

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Tue May 3 22:46:30 BST 2011

On 03-05-11 23:25, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, Lambertus wrote:
>> Ok, "Garbage Collection" sounds reasonable, but I gave Java 7.5 GB heap
>> space while it used only a few hundred megabytes. I've got no idea why
>> it would run out of memory.
> Do you really have so much free memory available? If you tell
> Java it should use 7.5GB heap space, it will use that, even if not
> available, and fail. I run Java with 4GB heap space (machine had more),
> but since other processes allocated memory, too, it did fail sometimes
> with similar symptoms. After I reduced the memory to 2.5 GB heap space,
> it runs fine.

The machine's got 8 GB ram and 8 GB swap. There were other processes
running as well, like bunzip and Osmosis but those don't use much ram.

Even so, the logs say it's using only 250 MB ram, that should not cause
problems right? If the logs said it was using more then 6GB then, ok, I
could accept such an explanation, but 250 MB....