logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [locator] Boundary file GPX converter

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Fri Apr 29 17:16:03 BST 2011

I have committed a converter that converts one or more precompiled
boundary files to GPX files. This is necessary to answer the numerous
questions "Why is this street not mapped to town A" etc.
It is also very useful for the development.

How does it work?

Call
java -cp mkgmap.jar
uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.reader.osm.boundary.BoundaryFile2Gpx
bounds_200000_50000.bnd

This creates a GPX files from the boundary file named
gpx/bounds_200000_50000.bnd/admin_level=<L>/<L>_<id>_<O>_<n>.gpx
where
<L> = admin_level
<id> = boundary id (r3000 = Relation 3000; w29945 = way 29945)
<O> = o means outer boundary, i means inner boundary (same meaning as in
multipolygons)
<n> = an ascending number within each id

The GPX files makes it easy to analyze the files with JOSM or any other
GPX viewer.

By the way:
This is a PERFECT place for anyone who want to start with mkgmap source
code contributions. Having a few Java experiences you can start here to
improve the converter or for example to write a check tool that outputs
uncovered areas for each admin_level.
If you have any question about that feel free to ask me. It's really not
very complicated.

WanMil