logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Tile splitter and merged maps?

From Dominik Röttsches d-r at roettsches.de on Thu Apr 28 11:32:54 BST 2011

Hi Adrian,

> I came across a similar problem last year. The trouble was with the
> merge function of osmosis. It takes the bounding box of the output file,
> from the first input file, regardless of the bounding boxes of the other
> input files. But the data from all the input files is in the merged
> file. I contacted the maintainer of osmosis about this but received no
> reply. It may be that it is the intended behaviour, rather than a bug.

Good to know, I'll try to follow up on this.

> I worked around this problem, but it is not at all convenient. You
> create the output file in uncompressed .osm format. This can result in a
> large file. [...]

Without having tried it. If - as it seems - osmosis takes the first map for the bounding box, one could create a dummy empty map with a spanning, large enough bounding box as the first one and merge it with the other ones.

> I have a vague recollection that it is also possible to get the splitter
> to ignore the bounds in the input file.

Any more thoughts on this coming back in the meantime?

Dominik