logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [locator] Separate boundary files

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Tue Apr 26 21:49:08 BST 2011

Henning,

here my explanation in short (you may expand it and add some useful hints):

1. Download the locator branch
2. The style file must be complemented with some special address rules.
Have a look at this post
(http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2011q1/010656.html) how
it works. The default style contains some basic rules.
3. You need precompiled boundary tiles.
To create them you need an OSM file that should contain boundary
information of an area that covers more than the tiles you want to use
for your map. It doesn't hurt if it contains more than boundary
information but that needs more memory. You can create such a file e.g.
with osmosis:
osmosis --rb europe.osm.pbf -tf accept-ways boundary=administrative -tf
accept-relations boundary=administrative --used-node -wx
europe-boundaries.osm

The precompile boundary tiles are created before the usual map compiling
when you add the option --createboundsfile=europe-boundaries.osm to your
mkgmap command line. The files are put to the subdirectory bounds if you
don't set the option --boundsdirectory=<directory>.
The precompilation must be performed once only. If you are happy with
them and you get satisfying results you never have to do this step again.

4. Add the index option to your usual mkgmap command line. The
precompiled tiles are used to retrieve the location information.

So in short:
After having split the boundary OSM file you need to call mkgmap:
java -jar mkgmap.jar --createboundsfile=europe-boundary.osm --index <...
your other mkgmap options ...> data/*.osm.gz

At the next run you should remove the createboundsfile option.

WanMil