logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Tile splitter and merged maps?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Apr 26 19:17:21 BST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 08:00:27PM +0300, Dominik Röttsches wrote:
>I created a merged map using osmosis:
>$ ./osmosis --rb finland.osm.pbf --rb germany.osm.pbf --rb us-west.osm.pbf --merge --merge --wx DE_FI_USW.osm
>which results in an uncompressed XML output map DE_FI_USW.osm of ~36G in size.

Side note: why not --wb DE_FI_USW.osm.pbf? Splitter can process osm.pbf.

>So this maps contains three different countries which do not
>necessarily have any overlap or connections, and bounding rectangles
>far apart from each other.

I would not bee too sure about that. I have come across (and split)
multipolygons that had members in Finland but also in Germany, Spain or
North America.

>Now I try to create one single gmapsup.img out of it using the tile
>splitter and mkgmap:
>
>$ java -Xmx5000M -jar ../splitter.jar --mapid=63240345 --max-nodes=1000000 ../DE_FI_USW.osm
>
>after this step I get a list of tiles which is suspiciously small, about 165M.

What kind of coordinates do you see in the areas.list? Could it be that
splitter is misinterpreting the bounding box?

>Am I doing something wrong here? Or is this an incompatibility or a
>possible problem with the tile splitter?

For what it is worth, about a year ago I experimented with merging a
section of the Baltic Sea coastline to the (then) finland.osm.bz2 from
Geofabrik, so that the coastline would extend to every tile border. I
did not get the merging to work.

Best regards,

	Marko