logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Did anyone realize cGPSmapper speaks Garmin NT?

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Tue Apr 26 18:08:30 BST 2011

>> Hi list
>>
>> I remember many discussions and comments about how mkgmap produces
>> Garmin's legacy format only and the NT format is still a mystery. Today,
>> I was pointed at a discussion of the Polish UMP project (similar to OSM,
>> strongly concentrated on Poland and surrounds). As I happen to be Polish
>> and thus read the language, I browsed their wiki. I noticed that they
>> are producing Garmin NT maps. And then I found that their tool chain is
>> based on cGPSmapper [1]. So, is the Garmin NT format considered reverse
>> engineered now that the cGPSmapper source is open? Or has this
> cgpsmapper is not open source. Only parts of it are open sourced.
>
> Well lets hope all of it becomes open source (for one example address
> index by cgsmapper seems to be more correct than mkgmap address index).
>
> NT format should be optional in any case. Old GPS like all etrex series
> or 60CSx work much slower once an NT map is loaded (even if it is
> deactivated).
>> interesting fact been missed somehow (I certainly was unaware of it
>> until today)?
>>
>> - Bartosz

What's the difference between 'old' Garmin format and NT format?
Is it that NT maps are using the GMP subformat to group tiles into
larger packages? Or are there any other specifics?

Support for the GMP subformat should be possible. Some time ago I have
written a parser of the GMP subformat for the display project and that
was not a very big deal.

WanMil