logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Did anyone realize cGPSmapper speaks Garmin NT?

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Apr 26 17:43:35 BST 2011

On 26.04.2011 17:43, Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I remember many discussions and comments about how mkgmap produces
> Garmin's legacy format only and the NT format is still a mystery. Today,
> I was pointed at a discussion of the Polish UMP project (similar to OSM,
> strongly concentrated on Poland and surrounds). As I happen to be Polish
> and thus read the language, I browsed their wiki. I noticed that they
> are producing Garmin NT maps. And then I found that their tool chain is
> based on cGPSmapper [1]. So, is the Garmin NT format considered reverse
> engineered now that the cGPSmapper source is open? Or has this
cgpsmapper is not open source. Only parts of it are open sourced.

Well lets hope all of it becomes open source (for one example address
index by cgsmapper seems to be more correct than mkgmap address index).

NT format should be optional in any case. Old GPS like all etrex series
or 60CSx work much slower once an NT map is loaded (even if it is
deactivated).