logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Idea: map layers (multiple output tiles per input tile)

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sun Apr 10 11:56:33 BST 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:26:58AM +0200, Martin Simon wrote:
>I think this is a great idea! I generate a map with seperate layers for
>-roads and small areas like buildings
>-landuse
>-a colored terrain model (to be able to switch between this and
>landuse representation)
>-speed limits as colored ways
>-hiking routes
>-elevation contours
>
>So today i need 4 mkgmap runs for the main osm data and 2 more for
>terrain and contours (I cound drop them because they don't change, but
>it doesn't take that long to generate those).
>
>If I could tell mkgmap "create a map from these input files using
>style1 and options1, style2 and options2, style3 and options3 and make
>a gmapsupp from the resulting files" I suspect this could save a lot of
>time and maybe prevent  trouble with the adress index, as I would't
>have to use another rund to melt everything together.

Good, now that I have a "customer" besides myself, I will start thinking
about the details.

For certain stuff, such as route relations, I believe that it would be
easiest to generate all layers from one style. Otherwise you would need
several almost-identical copies of the style files, such as "ski-route",
"bus-route", "bicycle-route" and so on.

>@Felix: I could'nt care less about mapsource not displaying stuff and
>don't know anyone really using it. QlandkarteGT is fine with my map,
>open source and runs well on all relevant platforms.

Same here. My only issue with QLandkarteGT is the inability to plan
routes.

Again, the old way of doing things would not be going away. This
multi-layer stuff would remain compatible with existing styles and
scripts. To take advantage of it, you would have to edit the styles and
scripts.

	Marko