logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Omitting ref from named minor roads

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Thu Apr 7 12:29:28 BST 2011

Marko Mäkelä (marko.makela at iki.fi) wrote:

> A fellow mapper complained that some highways carry a 5-digit ref on the
> mkgmap-produced map, even though the ref is nowhere to be seen on street
> signs. OK, mkgmap cannot possibly know that, but I was wondering if we
> could split this rule in the default style:
>
> highway=* {name '${ref} ${name}' | '${ref}' | '${name}' }
>
> so that we would assign '${ref} ${name}' only to highway=tertiary, and
> assign either $name or $ref to lesser roads:
>
> highway=tertiary {name '${ref} ${name}' | '${ref}' | '${name}' }
> highway=* {name '${name}' | '${ref}' }
>
> For example, a railway=platform that is also tagged as highway=footway
> would continue to carry the platform $ref, provided that the way is not
> named.
>
> Would anyone object to this change? Does anyone need to see both $name
> and $ref on highways lesser than tertiary?
>
> Best regards,
>
> 	Marko
Sounds fine to me: in my style I only use ref for down to the
secondary classification...these things are, to an extent, region
specific (i.e. out here only motorway, trunk and primary/secondary
roads have refs, and even then not all of them do, in fact most of
them don't).

--
Charlie