logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] natural=peak altitude conversion

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Sun Apr 3 10:56:01 BST 2011

On 03.04.2011 11:39, Minko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed some inconsistencies in the rendering of heights of peaks.
>
> In the default style file, the altitude is converted from meters to feet because Garmin likes that.
> natural=peak {name '${name|def:}${ele|height:m=>ft|def:}' } [0x6616 resolution 24]
>
> Here are some examples where it goes wrong:
>
> Kahler Asten, near Winterberg, Germany
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/83318818
> GPS shows: 256m  Mapsource: no height info
>
> osm tags:
> * ele: 840,8
> * name: Kahler Asten
> * natural: peak
>
> Wetztstein, near Winterberg, Germany
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/664200355
> Gps shows 235m Mapsource: no info
that indeed should be an error. Are all values with "," considered
incorrect? What about 840.8 meters (which is correct english). Basically
any "," should be interpreted as not existent, even though the placement
is not 3 from the right. So I would expect mkgmap to insert 8408 as
height, as we are still using english standards throughout osm, and not
some random local symbols.
> osm tags:
> * ele: 771 m
That is incorrect tagging. mkgmap does not know what to do with the "m".
Or differently said, mgkamp has no advanced converter to make use of
units like km, m, miles, ....