logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview of OSM tagging vs effects on Garmin maps

From Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl on Wed Mar 30 10:42:28 BST 2011

Hi,

I have been experimenting with mkgmap for a couple of months now. I am
not really a Java programmer, but I can read and understand the code
easily. Having been surprised by how certain map attributes come through
on the Garmin using the standard stylesheets, I have been looking into
how the chain currently works from OSM data to mkgmap to the style
sheets to the Garmin device so I could consider adjusting the way things
are tagged in order to improve the end result. I am of course not
advocating "tagging incorrectly for the renderer". My intention is to
optimise routing instructions, including both actual turns and the
spoken instructions.

Browsing through the code, I have discovered quite a few pieces of logic
which refer to specific OSM tags which are not, or poorly, documented.
For example, the "through_route" relation is extremely useful, and I
have seen that the "display_name" tag can override "ref" and "name".
Neither of these are documented on the OSM wiki. There are also quite a
few "internal" tags in the mkgmap namespace which could concievably be
set in the OSM data to override default algorithms in the code.

Now there's a discussion taking place about revising the documentation
for the command line options, would it be an idea to start some
documentation of the way tags are used within the Java code? This would
assist anyone wanting to tweak the style sheets without diving into the
code.

Colin