logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Sensible resolutions - (or patch 5)

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Sat Mar 26 01:06:11 GMT 2011

On 25.03.2011 22:01, Marko Mäkelä wrote:

>> Bad news: Adding just one level would blow up some limit. My largest
>> tile .img is about 20 megabytes. Time to split my tiles again, I guess.
>
> More bad news: After the additional splitting, my gmapsupp.img grew to
> 94 MB. Without the added levels and the splitting, it would be about
> 80 MB. The baseline (without the patch and splitting), it would be
> about 82 MB. I think that the growth is unacceptable.
>
> My revised patch is attached, including the changes to the options,
> which I am reluctant to apply. If you have no objections, I would like
> to commit the changes to polygons and lines.
Well then add a note to the options file, that while it is nicer and
faster on the GPS to draw (if level 21 and 19 are included) - however it
adds up 15% to filesize of gmapsupp.img (though I don't get how you get
15% when I get around 5% - well that's with exporting from Mapsource
where the mdr file takes up quite a lot of space too). What is your
commandline options?

Also I don't really sea why healthcare polygons should be visible
already at resolution 22. I think 23 (so 24 for everyone who does not
use 23) is enough. Essentially it's no more important than plain houses
in my opinion.
Besides - all my resolutions were the bare minimum change that I thought
is needed (and that was before the drop small polygons patch got
commited, which made a huge change too when used with default style-file).

highway=service at 23 is another thing I'm not too happy. Often
highway=service connect residential roads and tracks. That's why I put
them to 22. Maybe a finer seperation would be needed using service=* tag.