logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] OT: Garmin Edge 705 FAT recovery needed

From Robert Vollmert rvollmert-lists at gmx.net on Mon Mar 21 21:01:55 GMT 2011

On Mar 21, 2011, at 20:27, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> Around March 10, the internal file system in my Garmin Edge 705 could no
> longer be mounted by Linux. I was also unable to convert saved tracks
> into training runs, which I guess means that the Garmin firmware failed
> to read the file system as well. Also the base map (gmapbmap.img) failed
> to load. So, currently the Edge 705 is crippled in that I can see the
> gmapsupp.img that is on the SD card, but cannot save any tracks.
>
> I saved the entire 1GB image from the device to my computer. There is
> about 23 MB of nonzero data followed by zero bytes. The actual payload
> may be smaller. It looks like the "boot" sector and all of FAT1 and most
> of FAT2 are zeroed out.

I doubt that there's any vital unit-specific data stored on a removable SD card. It's possible to use the Edge without the card right? Regardless, since you've backed up the data, messing with the content of the SD card should be safe.

So what I'd probably do in your situation is to try formatting the sd card with one FAT partition (some mkdosfs invocation), insert it, and expect the device to work as it used to.

Is it possible that your SD card has failed? Presumably, you didn't get any errors when making that backup, but maybe a write error also causes the errors you've been seeing?

Cheers
Robert