logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address search issues

From Bartosz Fabianowski bartosz at fabianowski.eu on Sat Mar 19 23:36:47 GMT 2011

Hi list

I am trying to get address search going. It is almost working but not
quite. I have updated mkgmap to the newest trunk and am invoking it with:

java -ea -Xmx1536m -jar ../../mkgmap.jar \
     --gmapsupp \
     --description="Italia 19.03.2011" \
     --countryname=Italia \
     --country-abbr=ITA \
     --latin1 \
     --family-name="$country $date" \
     --max-jobs \
     --route \
     --remove-short-arcs \
     --adjust-turn-headings \
     --add-pois-to-areas \
     --generate-sea=multipolygon \
     --nsis \
     --make-all-cycleways \
     --link-pois-to-ways \
     --tdbfile \
     torino.osm

The OSM file used for testing is just the city center of Turin, Italy,
downloaded via JOSM.

After mkgmap has built the map, I am generating an NSIS installer,
installing it in Windows XP running under VirtualBox and uploading to my
Vista HCX. During address search, everything works as expected first.
The Vista lets me select "Italia" for the country and "Torino, ITA" for
the city (no other country or city is shown). I can enter an arbitrary
house number. When I select the street name field, I get a complete
alphabetical list. Entering *any* letter makes the device show "Not
found". If, instead, I scroll down the list to the street I am looking
for and select that, it is found correctly on the map.

In MapSource, address search suffers a very similar problem. Here, too,
starting to type a street name does not narrow down my choices as it
should. Instead, it has unpredictable effects. For example, typing the
single letter "D", instead of reducing the list to streets with "D" in
their name, scrolls down to the first street starting with "F".
Something seems to be off with the index.

I would appreciate any tips on what to try.

- Bartosz