logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] New locator branch

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Thu Mar 17 21:57:28 GMT 2011

>> And another requirement is also hard to achieve: performance. The branch
>> is not optimized very well yet. But I am sure that such searches for big
>> areas from all items of a tile are quite expensive no matter how
>> optimized they are.
>>
>> WanMil
>>
> I currently really don't want to use the locator branch, due to it's
> speed. I need already about 12 hours to compute all maps for weekly
> updates and osm data alone growing is already a concern. Wouldn't it be
> enough to use no guessing and just input correct addresses (best with
> working housenumber search)? The searching for streets not addresses is
> anyhow kinda strange and seems much more like a workaround than a clean
> solution.

Yes ... but how should mkgmap input the correct addresses? ;-)
In an ideal world you are right. But OSM data is far (very far) away
from complete address tagging.

Beware that all POIs would have to contain a complete set of addr-tags
(addr:country, addr:county addr:region(?), addr:city, addr:street,
addr:housenumber). The same with the is_in tags for all streets that do
not have any POIs attached until now. I havn't tested it but it should
not be too complicated to make a statistic with osmosis and a dump file.

Maybe the completeness of tagging will change within the next 2 years
but we are implementing for now.

WanMil