logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] New locator branch

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Thu Mar 17 20:12:58 GMT 2011

I have a big problem to continue the development on the locator branch.

I observed that a lot of admin_level boundaries (2,3,4,5 and sometimes
6,7,8,9,10,11) are not useable because they are not completely contained
in the tile data. The polygons are closed automatically but this is only
a good guess in which direction they have to be closed. The probability
is quite high that they are closed in the wrong direction.

I have attached a picture which visualizes the problem a bit more.
1. Red and green are two relations with e.g. admin_level=4. The black
rectangle shows the tile bounds.
2. The splitter does not put the complete relations into the tile. So
the read boundary is contained partial only.
3. The multipolygon algorithm automatically closes the red boundary with
best guess.
4. Now we have two different boundaries with admin_level=4 which cover
exactly the same area.

I think this will be a big source of complaints. So before continuing
with the locator branch I think it will be more worthy that the splitter
is able to put complete relations to a tile.
Anyone here who wants to start with that?

WanMil