logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1893: Add option to control the smallest polygon that is displayed

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Thu Mar 10 17:19:55 GMT 2011

On 10.03.2011 18:09, Johann Gail wrote:

>> Why did you change the merge-lines text at the same time?
>>
>> --merge-lines
>>     Try to merge lines. This helps the simplify filter to straighten out
>>     longer chunks at lower zoom levels. Decreases file size more.
>>     Increases paint speed at low zoom levels.
>> *At the moment this option causes routing errors. Use only if routing
>>     is not needed in your map.*
>>
>> Where is any reference to this causing routing errors. Routing is
>> only on res=24, though merge-lines now by default starts at res=22
>> (and even before ran after routing - which causes display panning
>> problems and maybe label problems, but no changes on routing as such.
>> Also the max error is now much smaller (1/4) compared with the old
>> behaviour).
>>
> This text was added in my patch as a side note while editing the help
> file. I have never watched routing errors for myself, but the internal
> data structures gets corrupted. AFAIR there was a problem with the
> drawing of the pink line. The routing layer should be intact, but some
> internal references at the lower resolutions are wrong.
> If the maps work for you even with routing, then well, its okay, use
> it and enjoy.  But I expect strongly some side effects, so I added
> this warning. It is simply a warning, not more and not less.
Well on my tries routing stayed 1:1. Only the tooltip is showing up at
wrong places on the map - and once you drag/pan the map, the engine
thinks you panned it from the wrongly showing place, leading to a big
jump. This error gets smaller by 50% on each resolution down. Therefore
it only really matters for resolution 23 and 24, and the reason for the
change a few revisions back, was to get the worst noticeable problems away.

There are options that cause far more problems like --ignore-osm-bounds
or not using remove-short-arcs (this should be default when --route is
given because if not used routing really gets broken for any highway
that has segments shorter than 2.8m),or --link-pois-to-ways which makes
gps crash on search and one map using it destroys search for all other
maps on many GPS units.
Also lower-case which is known to cause loads of errors (without any
indication of it working). While transparent and show-profiles may be
problematic if you don't understand exactly what they do.

Close-gaps and floodblocker should be default if sea is generated (would
save lots of people complaining about sea overflowing while the problem
is in OSM data).