logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [index] Automatic location completion

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at orangecorreo.es on Sat Mar 5 23:15:45 GMT 2011

El 05/03/11 18:17, WanMil escribió:
>>> I have improved calculation of the country information. In case no
>>> country information is available the most used country in a tile is
>>> used for all elements without country tag.
>>>
>>> The patch now patches the trunk and no longer the index branch.
>>>
>>> I have observed that lots of POIs are assigned the default country
>>> although I they are assigned a different country. I have no clue where
>>> this happens.
>>> Maybe an index related problem? I was hoping that Steves commit today
>>> would fix that problem but it didn't.
>>>
>> My findings with your v3 patch:
>> 1-Streets are now correctly assigned to cities, instead of suburbs or
>> nearest (wrong) cities. Great!
>>
> :-) That was due to the change already committed in r1879.
>

>> 2-State/Province field now includes regions and provinces, not only
>> regions as with v2 of your patch. Spanish regions (admin_level=4
>> according to [1]) are formed by one or generally more than one province
>> (admin_level=6), so every province is part of a region. According to
>> that, a place found in a province should also be found in the matching
>> region, but this is not the case; some places are assigned to provinces
>> and others are assigned to regions.
>>
> Mmmh, I don't know how to fix that at the moment. I think I have only
> three attributes which I can set: city, region, country. The question is
> now, which information is assigned to which attribute.
>
> At the moment the rules are as follows:
> 1. Assign city with admin_level=8,9,10,6,7 (use the first available level)
> 2. Assign regions with admin_level=6,7,5,3,4 if city is found and
> admin_level=5,3,4 if the city is not assigned
> 3. Assign country with admin_level=2 or use the most used country in the
> tile
>
> I think these rule might be tuned but I fear that we will need some
> country specific rules in the end. This will be a mess with large config
> files....

I apologize for talking only from my own country point of view, but this
is the one I know how it works. With the above rules streets and POI's
are incorrectly assigned in the case one municipality (admin_level=8)
has more than one city/village/hamlet. Using information from
landuse=residential polygons could help improve assignment.

>> 3-A new country has appeared in the Mediterranean coast of Spain, called
>> Maresme;Barcelona;Catalunya;España (coming from node 418639079 or way
>> 37229141). Another buggy new country is Vega de Valcarce;León;Castilla y
>> León;España,Europe (node 474558975)
>>
> The is_in tag contains "," and the Locator is not able to handle that.
> So this is a tagging error.
Fixed
> But I think about changing the order of the
> rules how the is_in and the more specific is_in:* tags are used.

I don't know what current order is, but I think is_in:* tags should take
precedence on is_in ones.

>> 4-"España" and "Europe" are found under State/Province.
>>
> I think thats also due to Locator errors.

If they are gathered from is_in it's more than probable.
I still have Metropolitan France and Gibraltar / United Kingdom in the
list of countries. Shouldn't they be France and United Kingdom after
1881 commit?

>> 5-The problem with State/Province info not taken into account when the
>> country field is filled in any of the search tabs remains.
>>
> I think that's not a problem of the autolocation patch but a problem of
> the MDR generation. Steve might have a look on it.
>

>> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#admin_level
>>
> Thanks a lot for your good response!! That's very helpful!
> I think this will be a good way to get all the location information right.

It's a pleasure to collaborate developing such a great improvement.