logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Preparing patches (Re: POIs for areas)

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Mar 3 21:54:27 GMT 2011

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 04:59:37PM +0100, Torsten Leistikow wrote:
>my mkgmap build process is very shaky, but finally I managed to create
>a patch of my changes. Perhaps it is even working?

Could you elaborate what your patch does? Does it remove the option
add-pois-to-areas altogether? Even though an add_poi action would
replace add-pois-to-areas, I think that we should support both forms for
some time.

You may ignore the rest of this message. I did a too quick read of the
patch and thought that you had changed accidentally white space in some
lines. You did that on purpose, because you removed one level of
indentation when removing the check for the add-pois-to-areas parameter.

Usually, I would do something like this:

svn diff > add_poi.patch
emacs add_poi.patch

and then fix any mistakes in the patch, either manually or by reverting
unintended changes with C-u C-c C-a (diff-apply-hunk with a prefix argument).

When reviewing a patch, you could save some work by telling svn diff to
ignore the white space changes:

svn diff x -wpu > add_poi-w.patch

Old versions of "svn" do not accept the -x option, unless you also
specify --diff-cmd:

svn diff --diff-cmd diff -x -wpu > add_poi-w.patch

On a related note, the patch -l option is useful when there are white
space differences between the patch and the source file, such as when
TABs have been converted to spaces in the patch or in the source file.

	Marko