logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Include the following patches into trunk -- Patch1 - Drop small Polygons

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Mar 1 18:47:45 GMT 2011

On 01.03.2011 19:44, Henning Scholland wrote:
> Am 01.03.2011 19:38, schrieb Felix Hartmann:
>>
>> On 01.03.2011 19:33, Felix Hartmann wrote:
>>> The following patches are in my eyes really worthwhile and should be
>>> added to trunk. They all work fine without glitches.
>>>
>>> 1. Drop small Polygons
>>> I am not sure who wrote this patch, but I have been using it longtime
>>> and it certainly does improve map performance especially on higher
>>> resolutions.
>>> It removes all polygons which consist of less than 8 pixels.
>>>
>>> If you deem that this is too extreme (though 8 pixels is really
>>> nothing, and polygons of less than 8 pixel size are barely noticeable
>>> anyhow - and only slow down map drawing) the following line could be
>>> reduced to maybe 6 or 4 pixels:
>>> +    private static final int MIN_SIZE_POLYGON = 8;
>> Ups forgot to say, I'm actually using it with a value of 15 and it seems
>> to work pretty well with 15.
> Wont it cause routing errors, if little highway-areas will be removed?
>
> Henning
What do you mean by highway areas? I removes lines consisting of 1 point
but but not on the routing nodes, but only on visual display. A 1point
line cannot exist in resolution 24 but only in resolutions 23 down.
Neither in Mapsource nor on GPS I can see a difference of removing 1
point lines (yes there is a visual difference if removing polygons
smaller than 15 pixels, but that usually makes the map better readable,
15 pixels is still tiny and causes rather a better readable map because
small non identifiable crap gets removed).