logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Global index branch

From Johann Gail johann.gail at gmx.de on Mon Feb 28 20:29:57 GMT 2011

Am 28.02.2011 00:17, schrieb Steve Ratcliffe:
> Hi
>
>> I'm not deeply involved in the current index code, but should the
>> accented 'c' not beeing converted to a standard 'c' in the index?
> Probably yes for MDR8, but for the street index, no.
>
>> If I enter the street names in my etrex, I can enter the base character,
>> i will get all streets which contain at this position special
>> characters. In german I can enter the character 'o' and even umlauts
>> like 'ö' will be found. So I think at this index there should be the the
>> special charcters converted to the base characters.
> All the accented characters are sorted together, almost as though they
> were the same character, so that is why that works.
>
> ..Steve

Yes, this is my view too.
This is how I expect it to work. So if there is an existing sorting
function doing it this way, then there must be a compare function
handling it correctly, i.e. doesn't distinguish between the different
accentuated c's. Should not the same compare function be called in the
search function for generating MDR8? Then there will be no different
entries for 'call' / '¢all'. (Sorry, don't have the special char on my
keyboard)

I expect the same sorting/comparing rules in all MDRs.

Regards,
Johann