logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap and values with semicolon in it

From NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de on Fri Feb 25 22:16:37 GMT 2011

Felix Hartmann-2 wrote:

> As for the points file all values with ";" should be seperated and
> cloned. So for amenity=hotel;restaurant & name=abc create two POI one
> matching all rules of amenity=restaurant and the second matching all
> rules amenity=hotel.

-1

Semicolons make only sense in the most simple cases: Only one tag using them
and values that are menaingful as a list.

You cannot formulate a general rule for evaluation because there are cases:
- where several tags use semicolons: It is undefined whether that means
corresponding lists or whether you'd have to cross-multiply all those lists
or whether the intended meaning is even more complex
- where the semicolons were introduced during a geometry merge in an editor.
In this case it has the meaning of "fixme". E.g. highway=tertiary;track
- some semicolons are actually _intended_ as a single value. I personally
think this is complete nonsense, but people are using it, namely
burg;schloss is intended as ONE value, not a list.

Felix Hartmann-2 wrote:

> Still everyone using semicolons should know that this tagging is
> potentially complicated and not usable and using semicolons is not good
> form of tagging.

+1

That sums it up nicely. It does not work, don't use it. And don't try to
build half-hearted support for only the simple cases. :-)

bye
            Nop