logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Index branch - Umlaut problem

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Tue Feb 15 21:00:50 GMT 2011

On 15/02/11 20:40, flabot at googlemail.com wrote:
> Can i reindex tiles ?

Yes, you do not need to change the tiles to create an index (unless the
index doesn't work due to a bug in how the tiles where generated).

> I split germany every days in the same way.
> I localy update only a few tiles an put the mix of old/new via gmapsup
> on my 60CSX.
> (java -jar mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --family-id=4 --product-id=45
> --family-name=basemap 70013*.img basemap.TYP)
>
> That words great.
>
> Can you say something about that ?

The family-id, product-id and family-name (and all those related
options) are not "in" the tiles, so you do not need to recompile the
tiles to change any of those options.

If you only change a few tiles, then there is always the chance that
routing connections between the tiles get broken if one tile changes
the position of a road and the neighbouring tile is not also changed,
just as you would expect, but apart from that kind of thing a mix of
tiles will be just fine.

> secound question :
> Whats does Basecamp/ Map Installer do with the data  when uploading
> via USB. Why cant this be done via gmapsupp ? Or can his be done in
> future ?

It does a lot, unfortunately :(

Almost everything about the MDR file that gets loaded into the
gmapsupp.img is different. Many of those changes are simple, leaving
fields and whole section out. Some sections contain extra unknown
fields. And there there are whole new sections.

In a way it will be easier than the initial development, because you
can always tell if your file is correct by comparing it with what
MapSource would produce. But there are 40 sections to go through so it
quite a task.  I'm sure it is entirely possible though.

..Steve