logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address search and index.

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Mon Feb 14 10:21:53 GMT 2011

> Do you think, it's an osm-data-problem? Then it would be very helpful,
> to explain, which tags are involved and causes the faults. Is it is_in,
> addr:country or which tags did mkgmap use therefor?
>
> If there are faults in the data, they should be fixed.

Well I get England, Great Britain, Great Britian, and United Kingdom.

One is spelling mistake and so, fair enough, should be fixed and there
is not going to be any argument from anyone about that.

But the others are not wrong and might be fine in other situations.

A few examples from England:

	k='is_in' v='Nantwich, Cheshire, England, United Kingdom'
	k='is_in' v='UK, England, County Durham, Teesdale'
	k='is_in' v='England, Essex'

So there are different tagging styles and conventions, I don't think
we can change how the mapper map apart from fixing clear errors.

There is code in mkgmap, written by Bernhard Heibler, that attempts to
make sense of these differences and I guess the first thing we need to
do is get that configured as well as possible.

Looking at LocatorConfig.xml it appears that I can specify all the
varients of a country name and it will change them to the main name.
I'm just about to try this out.

..Steve